Saturday, January 26, 2013

Killing a Mockingbird in the Town and Country


Gordimer’s “Town and Country Lovers” and Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird



            As I read Nadine Gordimer’s short stories, “Town and Country Lovers,” images of the ever-so-noble Atticus Finch and the mysteriously elusive Boo Radley, of Harper Lee’s novel, To Kill a Mockingbird, kept appearing in my mind. Who knew that all of that reading we did in high school would actually ever come in handy again?

            I’ll admit; there are some very obvious structural differences between these two works. For example, Gordimer’s short stories take place throughout South Africa, whereas Lee’s novel is set in Alabama in the United States. However, even two places that are so geographically distinct from one another – separated by a large body of water and 8,000 some-odd miles – share surprising similarities in terms of sociocultural and historical context.

            In “Town and Country Lovers,” both stories focus on the interracial relationships between white men, von Leinsdorf and Paulus Eysendyck, and black or “coloured” women, an unnamed “girl” and Thebedi. There is a significant emphasis on the illegal nature of these relationships, as both stories incorporate some legal involvement or court preceding. For example, in the first story, policemen raid von Leinsdorf’s apartment and take the pair to jail, where an extensive and intrusive medical examination is performed on the “girl” to determine an exact date of the alleged illegal act. In the second story, the plot concludes with a court preceding, which is held for the murder of Thebedi’s (and Eysendyck’s) baby, although Eysendyck is conveniently found to be “not guilty.”

Similarly, in To Kill a Mockingbird, the story centers around a court trial in which Atticus Finch, the narrator’s father and a white lawyer, chooses to defend Tom Robinson, a black man who is (wrongly) accused of raping a young white woman, Mayella Ewell. Atticus, in heroic style, not only disproves the accusation and ousts Mayella and her father as liars, but even goes the extra mile by establishing that Mayella actually advanced onto Tom – not the other way around. However, despite the painfully-obvious evidence of Tom’s innocence, the jury somehow convicts him as guilty, and he is later shot and killed when trying to escape the unjustly confines of prison.

…Excuse me? Let me see if I understand this correctly. Paulus brutally murders his own newborn baby and gets away with it – scot-free, I might add – and Tom, completely innocent, is irrefutably proven just that and gets a bullet – wait, 17 bullets – in his back? Well, so much for “justice” and “equality” and whatnot in the courts. How am I, as a reader, supposed to be not completely and utterly depressed by these outcomes? The apathy and injustice of it all just kills me. Albeit, these narratives aren’t written about present-day happenings and current conditions, but even so, the harsh realities of racism in the Deep South and apartheid in South Africa have a similarly chilling and sobering effect.

Despite differences in geographical location, racism in the South and apartheid in South Africa are actually quite conceptually similar. These policies pervaded society and had roots in both law and culture.

For example, Jim Crow laws and apartheid legislation (largely the Immorality Act) legally separated whites from blacks and “coloreds.” Such legal encroachment on people’s personal lives echoed the somewhat mechanical and apathetic treatment of people’s intimate relationships, private lives, and especially multiracial individuals.

However, maybe even just as powerful and dangerous as legislation, these ideas were inescapably pervasive in the widespread, everyday attitudes of Southern and South African culture. For example, despite the in-your-face, inarguable evidence that was presented to the juries in both “Town and Country Lovers” and To Kill a Mockingbird, the courts consistently, unapologetically, and apathetically went against the obvious and instead ruled in favor of the white man or woman. And to what outcomes? No sympathy for a mother who has lost her baby to a selfishly murderous ex-lover and an unjust but unrecognized death; and an innocent man sentenced to prison, and 17 bullets in his back when he can’t stand to be denied his rightful freedom. I found this to be gut-wrenchingly miserable, as I would assume that any human being with a soul would agree. I just can’t even fathom having to live amidst such blatant injustice – what are we supposed to rely on if we can’t even rely on our legal systems to be fair and just? Might as well just give up.

            In both “Town and Country Lovers” and To Kill a Mockingbird, the interesting interface and constant combination of law and culture are examined with respect to interracial relationships during times of racism and apartheid in two very different but very similar areas. Both narratives demonstrate recurring themes of law and culture, apathy, violence and justice, and racism and apartheid through the lens and context of a time period (thankfully) much different than our own.

7 comments:

  1. Brilliant. I enjoyed reading your blog entry. It was so comical, yet provided in depth analysis on the two literary texts. It was great that you brought back such an old text, that is To Kill a Mockingbird, as a source of comparison. The legal aspect of both stories combined to form the perfect point of the injustice towards individuals of African decent. It is baffling that there are such injustices towards individuals with different skin colors in a different country, such as the United States, and even in their own country of South Africa. It still keeps me wondering and asking, what gives individuals with light skin tones the right to treat others so terribly? Although it is a question that will never be answered properly, I wanted to point out something that seemed relevant to me within the two texts. In Town and Country Lovers, I found it interesting that, simultaneously, the police brought it both individuals for accusations. Yet, in To Kill a Mockingbird, the police only brought in Tom and not the woman. I find this point to reflect some hope. I feel that there still may be hope for the South African country and their inhabitants, since both races are being accused. But in the United States, the blame is fully placed on the African American with no questions asked. That makes our legal system look terribly bad. Furthermore, there will always be that injustice during this period of time and I feel as if you conveyed your message very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog entry was amazing! I really like how you used a casual, yet highly effective, tone. The comparison you drew between "Town and Country Lovers" and To Kill a Mockingbird was really well-articulated. I agree with both you and Teresa that no one has the right to ill-treat others on the basis of skin color. While reading Thebedi and Eysendyck's story, I was also really surprised by how Thebedi never did anything to stop her ex-boyfriend from killing her own baby. I understand she was probably ashamed of breaking the Immorality Act, but to be honest, that did not seem like a strong enough reason for her lack of intervention. The only logical conclusion I could come up with for why Thebedi didn't do anything is that Gordimer was trying to show just how strong an effect the Immorality Act had on society. Poisoning your own child to cover up for your personal disobedience seems simply preposterous to me, but I guess it was okay back then. Overall, it's sad to think that times like these existed not too long ago, but it's good to know that we have moved on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best part about your review is your tone in the blog. It is very intriguing and I really enjoyed reading it. To be honest, I did not like To Kill a Mockingbird, but like you said, it is so unfair. What makes me mad is that Atticus is white, but the people/community is blindly ignore him and his facts. I mean since they are all racist and favor the white, why aren't they favoring Atticus, even though he is representing a black person. For the "Town and Country Lovers," I like the first story more than the second one because the first story seem more developed and the fact that they are adults making it more interesting to me. Since they are adults, I feel like they should know better and they should have hidden it better, but I think if they were to fight for their love, I would love the story much more. However, I did not like the girl's mother though. Regardless, your blog was excellent. I gave me new perspective on the story and allowed me to relates to other historical events.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really see the connection between this story and To Kill a Mockingbird as it was one of my favorite novels from high school. It makes you see even though these authors grew up in such different places, there is a common theme on the atrocity the African American community had to face. Even though Atticus was white, it was not enough to ensure a fair trial for Tom Robinson. There are so many instances when African Americans are wrongly accused, even if the evidence is very clear. In the short story, I feel if the genders were reversed (the relationship between a black man and a white woman), I feel the ending would not have been so generous. They clearly would have been in more trouble as seen in the case of To Kill A Mockingbird. The black man would surely have suffered a lot. But since it was a white man, the consequences were not as severe. Overall, love this blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was an entertaining read for me. I found your comments quite humorous and enjoyable.
    The thing that struck me most was the last part of the last sentence where you wrote, "… a time period (thankfully) much different than our own."
    Are the two time periods really so different? Perhaps you just meant that we don’t have segregation or an apartheid system, but in my opinion, some aspects of our legal system still aren’t fair and just.
    Sure, thanks to civil rights movements there are laws that attempt to put to rest racism, discrimination, and inequality; however, just because these legislative acts were passed, doesn’t mean it changed the opinions and behaviors of society. It's hard to take note of the types of racism and discrimination that still take place today because things are seemingly equal compared to the 1930s.
    Nevertheless, we continue to live in a society of “blatant injustice” because racism and discrimination still exists psychologically and sociologically.
    For example, the S.B. 1070 law in Arizona that potentially encourages racial profiling, or the bullying on Asian American students on the East Coast.
    I also say this in accordance to my personal experiences. My senior year in ROTC, I volunteered in a “telethon.” I was pretty much calling everyone in the 34th district of CA to advocate a legislative act that would prevent music and performing arts in schools from getting cut. “There is no way in hell I would have that act passed.” A white woman was yelling at me through the phone. “I don’t want my taxes raised to go to a bunch of no-good, lazy, dirty Mexicans that amount to nothing.” To this day I still remember her rants word for word. Needless to say I was fuming. I was quite shocked, but also infuriated. After the shock, I could think of a thousand things to say to this woman who firmly believed she was racially superior to me. Instead I just thanked her for her time and hung up. I realize now that all Asian American, African American, and Latin@ American minorities struggle to fight against the oppressions they face every day. Things may seem equal, but psychologically and socially, America still has a long way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely have to agree with Lupe. This was a fantastic read for me. I have not read the book To Kill A Mockingbird (I will get to it in time), but I see you made some excellent comparisons.

    As Lupe asked, "Are the two time periods really so different?". I have to agree with that. Racism and discrimination are still alive in today's society. There are still groups dedicated to hate upon other groups, ethnicities, nationalities, and so forth.

    Lupe has told her personal account of racism. I am also Mexican, but I have no personal story of racism against me. However, I have been told that I am lucky in that I do not entirely "look Mexican". I have a light skin complexion and many of my friends have assumed I am white. Some have told me that I am lucky because I do not have to worry about anyone saying anything about my heritage and me.

    This greatly saddens me because I am "lucky". It's "lucky" that I do not look Mexican. There is something very wrong with that previous statement because no one should be ashamed to be any particular race, ethnicity, and nationality. People cannot choose what group or whatnot into which they were born. We live in a world where people are ashamed to accept a part of who they are. Granted this is not the case for everyone, but people are treated so rottenly because they are the minority.

    I do have to say that some progress has been made for the better, but there is still a lot to work through.

    ReplyDelete