Wednesday, February 27, 2013

People In Parts

I love distopia novels: novels written about societies designed to be utopias but in execution are seriously flawed. I couldn’t help but notice a strong parallel between my two favorite distopia novels, The Handmaid’s Tale by Margret Atwood and Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishigori. The Handmaid’s Tale, written by Margret Atwood, is the story of the overthrow of the US and its fall into a totalitarian government, known as “The Republic”. The book is narrated by Offred, who tells of life as a handmaid, a rare fertile woman pressed into sexual service for important government officials in a world where most women are sterile. Never Let Me Go centers around the experience of the narrator, Kathy, and her experience in growing up at the elite private school, Hailsham, as clone destined to donate organs once physically mature. Both women in these books have limited power of their bodies for a so-called greater good- reproduction and longevity as the case may be- and are dehumanized in the process. Without power over one’s body, an individual cannot live a true life or be respected as a real human with a personality leading to loss of freedom, ability to have relationships, and right to knowledge.
Famously in The Handmaid’s Tale, Offred states, “Waste not, want not. I am not being wasted. Why do I want?” (7). The reoccurring tragedy in this novel is in the view of sexulaity for women by the Republic. In the society where few women retain their ability to procreate, handmaids become such an important commodity that they become overshadowed by their sexuality. Handmaids have uniforms, specific duties and set limitations on any activity or interaction that may jeopardize their enslavement or ability to bear children, including interaction with any person, reading, and relationships. There is a tragic loss of identity that occurs with being so highly valued for something so banal. Offred is still a person within her prized body, but it is significant to no one other than herself.
Kathy and Offred share the same inability to take control of their lives. Although Offred lives in a very defined and strict world, Kathy has the same limitations but in a quieter way. Kathy, like Offred, is separated from the world in isolation at Hailsham, where information about the outside world is strictly monitored and escape is simply inconceivable because of lack of knowledge.  There is no one keeping them in Hailsham by force but they simply couldn’t survive outside because they lack practical abilities like confidence around outside people, even for something as simple as small purchases at shops. They are allowed to read, but have censored material. These milder restrictions, kinder and gentler, still bind them to their identity as subhuman. Most significantly there is a similar sexual restriction on both women. Towards the end of the novel, Kathy graduates from the school and is reunited with her best friend Tommy by becoming his “carer” (almost like a baby sitter) while he is going through the donation process and they are able to have a short relationship ending with Tommy saying, “ ‘It’s a shame, Kath, because we’ve loved each other all our lives, But in the end, we can’t stay together’” (282).  Although the two are allowed to have a relationship as clones, their entire lives are influenced by the fact that they will die long before they reach middle age and their time together will be tainted by obligations from not being in control of their physical bodies with donations and medical problems. Their inability to physically take control of their bodies hampers their mental freedom and their way of looking at their relationship. This block of freedom is just as tangible as Offred’s blatant rule forbidding dating. The free will of the clones is undermined by the simple fact that their bodies are not their own, and society owns them from conception until they die.
It’s interesting to think that despite being valued for different things physically and in entirely different societies, Offred and Kathy have the basic same restrictions on their life. It’s ironic: they are both extremely valued by their societies, so being dehumanized superficially seems odd. However, be it carrying vessel for children or “Organ sack” (as one of my classmates put it)… when a person is valued as piece or a part they stop being human to society even when they are still individuals with the same universal need to be free.

 I would recommend everyone to read A Handmaid’s Tale along with 1984, Fahrenheit 451, and Brave New World if you liked Never Let Me Go!

7 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNn_pNt2Fx8
    If you watch the first few seconds, I think it sums up the idea pretty well. Also, I love the juxtaposition of the wall from Hailsham and the wall here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love reading dystopian novels too!
    I think it all started with The Giver in 4th grade, then it progressed to a semi-obsession with Ayn Rand's works. I remember I read Anthem and suddenly got hooked on her works.
    I've read all of the books you listed except for A Handmaid's Tale so I think I'm going to have to add that to my list...

    You mentioned excellent key elements of both novels that I feel made this comparison strong. I think it was great to mention the fact that there is an immense loss of identity, of control, and ultimately, of happiness. It is truly ironic to think about how clones like Kathy are dehumanized aside from their utmost importance in society. Thanks to donors such as she, members of the outside world are able to enjoy a prolonged life. The incurable diseases that once plagued life no longer need to exist, at the expense of outcasting and dehumanizing people such as Kathy, Tommy, and Ruth; they are fundamentally stripped from possession of their own existence.

    To be honest, I never really quite connected Never Let Me Go with a dystopian sub-genre. I think this is because we, as readers, never really get a true sense of what the world outside of Hailsham, the Cottages, and donations was like. I'd like to argue that it doesn't have the common characteristic of a totalitarian government as most dystopian novels do, but again, we don't really get a clear picture of what the government and society was like. A few instances of the "normal" society in Never Let Me Go were depicted, but not enough in my opinion.
    Because you pointed out the dystopian quality of Never Let Me Go, I think I know why I enjoyed this novel so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great comparison. I've never read The Handmaid's Tale but from your description it seems quite a bit darker than Never Let Me Go, which makes the comparison bring new light on to the plot of Never Let Me Go. In NLMG, the setting slowly and innocently evolves until you find out that the Students are really going to be organ donors, but in THT it seems like the dark overtones are quite blatant. The fact that the themes and concepts behind the two are very similar makes looking at NLMG have a bit more meaning when you consider the more serious tone of THT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed your comparison of these two works - I definitely share your enthusiasm for dystopian novels; I think what makes them so interesting is that they aren't necessarily outrageously far-fetched so that we can identify with that world, yet are different enough from our own world to cause conflict. I liked that you focused on the aspect of control (or lack thereof) in these two works, and I especially agreed with the ironic contrast that you pointed out in your last paragraph - that although both Offred and Kathy provide something invaluable and important to their respective societies, they are still somehow treated mechanically and inhumanely. Ovrerall, a great post and although I have already read 1984, Brave New World, and Fahrenheit 451, I will definitely look into The Handmaid's Tale next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such an interesting comparison! Now I understand why I liked Never Let Me Go too. I see the comparison you are making between The Handmaid's Tale and Never Let Me Go. These people are restricted and confined from the real world and they are limited in their freedom due to their circumstances. I also really like how you connected infertility between the two novels as well. That's a very big issue that I see in the novels because that issue contributes to their lack of control of themselves and in their place in society. Both narrators also seem to be brainwashed into thinking that what they are being force to do is for the good of the society. I will definitely read this novel next!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lupe: I think that it's interesting that both people serve to help "the greater good", it's a comparison I didn't realize/consider!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I read your first sentence, I was surprised that you did not choose to compare Never Let Me Go to The Giver. However, as I keep reading your comparison, I see the similarities. It is sad that Kathy and Offred do not have control over their choice. It is sad to seem them in that situation.
    I also watched the video, but I feel like The Handmaid's Tale is an extreme of Never Let Me Go. I do see the similarities, but it is just upsetting to see people unable to say and express themselves.
    Between the two, I think I like Never Let Me Go better, because it is not as depressing as The Handmaid's Tale and the characters have some choices. Although they were going to die eventually, I think the Kathy had a better live than Offred had because she is contained and from the movie, they seem like they are in a jail. I will try to read your recommendations!

    ReplyDelete