Sunday, February 10, 2013

Sula and Fight Club





     During my initial reading of Sula, I began to wonder about what kind of things I should try to find connections to. At first, I kept thinking about events in the story and what they reminded me of. The childhood friendship between Nel and Sula that seemingly fell apart when their conservative and liberal upbringings collided reminded me of the story of Forrest Gump. The community-wide distain for Sula and the resulting rumors reminded me of Mean Girls. However, I began to realize the importance of themes in the class discussion. The strong imagery of Nel and Sula being two parts of the same person reminded me of the movie Fight Club. It was an unlikely match, but as I thought about it more, the more it made sense. Fight Club had two distinctive characters who mirrored Nel and Sula.

     In Fight Club, the unnamed narrator is a corporate employee of an automobile manufacturer. He leads an orthodox life and is wrapped up in his consumerism and set of Ikea furniture. His monotonous life coupled with insomnia makes his life seem like a blur. One day, the narrator finds his apartment and all of his material possessions destroyed by a fire. He calls Tyler Durden, a person who sat next to him on an airplane, and asks for help. They subsequently start to live and go out together. Later, they start a fight on friendly terms outside a bar. This single fight between two people grows into an underground boxing club. Then, Tyler starts turning the fight club into an anti-corporation rebel group called Project Mayhem. Tyler leads the organization into more ambitious tasks, culminating in the destruction of financial buildings with explosives. The narrator stands by and just watches. The big twist in this movie is that after someone greets the narrator as Tyler, he realizes that they are the same person, and Tyler is a projection of his disassociated identity disorder.

     I saw a connection of personalities between Nel and the narrator and  between Sula and Tyler. Nel believes in the traditional values of family and marriage, and the narrator blindly follows consumerism and his corporate job. Sula decides to ignore the obligation of marriage and having children, similar to Tyler's rebellion against mainstream values. Nel and the narrator spend their lives trying to achieve society's goals, but they never complete their family or Ikea furniture set. Sula and Tyler define their own happiness and live their lives without regrets, regardless of their impact on other people's lives.

     Certain events in the book reminded me of scenes from the movie as well. The part where the two girls mimic each others actions and combine their two smaller holes into a single larger one illustrates that they are very much alike each other. Analogously, the narrator and Tyler suffer from the same lip wounds after they fight, as pictured above. Furthermore, they are constantly drinking the same type of beverage. In this post fight scene, they share a beer and throw the bottle away at the same time. The second scene connection I saw was when Sula indirectly kills Chicken Little. Nel lacks remorse since she doesn't feel like she played a part in it. After Eva calls her by Sula's name, she realizes she is as much to blame for his death. The same goes for the narrator's lack of involvement with Project Mayhem; he realizes that he was the leader of the whole operation after a man calls him Tyler.

     Although the two plots are vastly different, I thought the characterization of Nel, Sula, the narrator, and Tyler were incredibly comparable. Both stories left me with the conclusion that if you let society determine your life goals, you will never be satisfied, but if you ignore mainstream values and follow your desires, your life will be your own to control.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post, and Happy Chinese New Year!



9 comments:

  1. I like your observation of Sula being a complementary side to Nel, similar to the role Tyler plays for the narrator, in which I totally agree. Sula brings out the loose and free personality in Nel as Tyler does for the narrator. Both Sula and Tyler are able to complete the personalities of the other, as the readers can get a better understanding of the contrasts they play against Nel and the narrator who are a bit more shy. Your character descriptions are spot on, especially that of Nel and Sula. Nel was brought up in a overly strict and proper environment that eventually shapes her traditional values as an adult. Sula, however, had a noisy and wild upbringing that defines her carefree adult life. Both girls are drawn to each other in the beginning of the novel through their own experiences and find friendship and comfort just as the narrator and Tyler do.

    I found your last statement interesting regarding your thoughts on ignoring mainstream values and following your desires for your life to be in your own control. Not only is it interesting to see how much society shapes the thoughts and actions of people in a fictional story, but also in real life. I find this to be very accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES!
    I love Fight Club! Well, the book anyway. The movie was good too though!
    If you ever have time, I would say read Invisible Monster by Chuck Palahniuk, it's great.
    As for your comparison, it is really creative!
    The similarities between Sula and Tyler took me by surprise at first, but after further consideration it was very adequate. You're right: both Sula and Tyler Durden refuse to accept society's idea of happiness and the American Dream. They chose to do what ever made them happy. Something that I believe a lot of people will never do because often times the fear of offending supersedes the fear of boredom and unhappiness.

    I wish you would have given more examples because this was a really cool read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The comparison that you made between Fight Club and Sula was very original and interesting! I also thought that Tyler and the narrator's relationship resembles the connection between Sula and Nel in many ways. For example, Tyler instigates the creation of the Fight Club and Project Mayhem, while the narrator simply wishes to become a part of Tyler's elaborate life style. Sula, like Tyler, defies conventional societal principles by attending college and by having many sexual partners, which are things that Nel cannot do because of her strict upbringing. Also, like you mentioned, at the end of the stories, you see the characters, Tyler and the narrator, and Sula and Nel, morph into one being; Eva mistakes Nel for Sula when Nel visits her at the hospital, and the project members and Marla greet the narrator as Tyler. Overall, I think that you did a great job explaining and providing evidence that the characters in Sula and in Fight Club share many similarities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although this connection between Sula and Fight Club was surprising at first, your explanation clearly demonstrated the similarities between these two works. I liked that you focused on the theme of parallelism between two characters through both personalities and actions. I think that it is significant that there is a distinct connection between Sula/Nel and Tyler/the narrator because although both pairs of characters mirror each other in a similar way, Sula and Nel are still separate people whereas Tyler is a projection of the narrator's mind as a result of a personality disorder. However, despite this difference, there is that common quality of morphing into one being or entity that is present in both texts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the connection you made between the novel and Fight Club. I was actually thinking the same thing myself when I was reading, but I had forgotten about it at some point. The parallels between the two are significant, and it gives Sula a whole new spectrum of meaning if you look at it in the context of Fight Club's twist. It feels like a second reading of Sula, much like (at least for me) a second viewing of Fight Club, would reveal all kinds of little hints and foreshadowing that was missed the first time.

    I don't think Sula and Nel are *actually* the same person, even though you might be able to make that argument, but that doesn't stop the similarities from adding to the analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fight Club is one of my favorite movies and reading your comparison of Fight Club with Sula was interesting. Nel and the narrator lead similar lives in which they follow, for the most part, societies rules and norms. Sula and Tyler's lifestyle was different and they did whatever they chose, regardless of what society said to do. Despite living such different lives, both Nel and the narrator remain ignorant to the fact that they are actually very similar to Sula and Tyler until the end. In fact, they seem like they are one person living in two bodies. Like you pointed out, Nel realizes this when Eva calls her Sula and the narrator realized this when someone called him Tyler.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I never would have looked at it that way. That was a really great comparison between Sula and Fight Club! It makes me wanna see the movie now too.

    When I saw the trailer and saw Tyler appear for the first time, I knew instantly that he was similar to Sula: they both seem to be bright, outgoing, and have a certain charm about them. Then the appearance of the narrator also reminded me of Nel: they both seem to be trying to find something interesting in their 'dull' life and they find it when they meet their respective best friend. However, despite these differences between all of them, Nel and Sula along with the narrator and Tyler seem to be the one and same person. It is almost as if they complete one another. In the case of the narrator and Tyler, they kinda do.

    Both works hold similar aspects to one another yet there are differences as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woah! I never heard of Fight Club before, but reading your blog makes me want to see it!
    I think it is really interesting that Tyler, the narrator, and Tyler, the ambitious man who leads the organization, are the same person. Am I getting this right? They are the same person?
    Watching the trailer and reading your comparison really strikes me of how much the characters from the movie and from Sula are similar to each other. But for me, I think I like that in the end of the book, Nel turned away from Sula and lived her own life. Maybe this characteristic of Nel is different from the movie. In the book, I think the last few chapters describes Nel as her own being more. Although she and Sula are similar in many ways, I like that the book give Nel her own distinctions. I do not know what happen in the movie, but, unless I am reading the blog wrongly, I believe Tyler is the polar opposite of the same person. Thus, I think this is different from Nel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did not think about this being a comparison! I thought about Fight Club and "Super-Frog saves Tokyo" being compared, but after reading your post it makes a lot of sense! It is very accurate and I throughly enjoyed reading your post. I like how you were able to really bring into focus the similarities of the characters and not bringing in the plot too much because of how radically different they are. Great job!

    ReplyDelete